Monday 22 October 2012

Displaced and seeking refuge


Last Saturday was an experience that left me grateful for the things in my life which I have often taken for granted.

Am sure most of the people who have been displaced by the floods in different parts of Nigeria, never thought they would ever have to flee their homes and depend on charity for things as little as drinking water, not to talk of food or having to camp in the classrooms of government primary schools.

I joined the WESEI team - an NGO as we set out for some of the relief camps in rivers state, to support and encourage some of the victims displaced by the floods...


All set and ready to leave for ahoada


So we took off , a team of 10 persons and some supplies, but nothing prepared me for the destruction I saw, houses covered in water, farmlands and crops totally destroyed.  More pics



homes destroyed by the flood

Children at the Edeoha camp


Inside one of the halls meant for women and children

A member of the WESEI team addresses some men at the camp



Then we notice our truck is slanting.... hmm I wonder why



a flat tyre!!!!!!!!!



at odiemerenyi community, in ahoada east has become home to displaced persons from different communities. We met with them at the town hall where they all came together to discuss their fate.
















here we learnt we wouldnt be able to make it to the camps in Okogbe , Okporowo and Idu, because the roads have been cut off by the flood.



already turned a shade darker at this point , and yes that's me in the blue jeans, am finer in person trust me....



And they still found it in them to smile..




To help with donations in cash or kind, pls contact
Izuma (WESEI cordinator) on 08037875743.

1 comment: